Historic Sites Click
here for our History Hunt
Julian was founded following the Civil
War, when displaced Confederate Veterans from Georgia headed West to seek
their fortunes in a new, mostly unsettled land. Among these were cousins
Drue Bailey and Mike Julian, who found a lush meadow between Volcan
Mountain and the Cuyamacas to their liking. They were there in 1869 when
cattleman Fred Coleman found the first flecks of gold in a creek. It was
San Diego County's first and only gold rush.
The town was named Julian, in honor of
Mike, who later was elected San Diego County Assessor. The town was never
big, at the most boasting a population of about 600---more than reside
within the historic district today. Rumor has it that Julian almost became
San Diego's county seat.
The gold rush was short-lived, nearly
over within a decade. But the pioneers stayed and began farming the rich
land. While many crops were planted and animals pastured, Julian proved to
be a fine place to grow apples. Apples continue to be produced in Julian.
Their sweet, fresh flavor lures thousands to the mountains each fall, when
visitors will find fruit stands overflowing with crisp fruit, homemade
cider and other delicacies.
Visit during mid-week to enjoy the quiet and peaceful
historic town and beautiful countryside.
Julian Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 1866, 2129 Main Street, Julian, CA 92036